Longwood Fund is a healthcare venture capital firm that founds, manages, and builds healthcare companies.
Longwood's mission is to identify technologies and to found companies that will advance new therapeutics that not only make a difference in the lives of patients worldwide, but also create significant value for investors. This is achieved by leveraging the management teamís history of successful healthcare company formation and operational leadership.
Longwood’s portfolio includes:
- Alnara Pharmaceuticals, Inc.: acquired by Eli Lilly in 2010.
- Verastem, Inc. (NASDAQ: VSTM): discovering and developing drugs to treat cancer by the targeted killing of cancer stem cells.
- OvaScience, Inc. (NASDAQ: OVAS): a global life sciences company dedicated to improving fertility for women around the world.
- IlluminOss Medical: a privately-held, commercial stage medical device company focused on designing, developing and marketing orthopedic fracture repair products that leverage its proprietary bone stabilization technology.
- PTC Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ: PTCT): a global biopharmaceutical company focused on discovery, development and commercialization of orally administered, proprietary small molecule drugs.
- Mitobridge, Inc. (formerly known as Mitokyne): a leader in the emerging field of mitochondria-related drug discovery and development.
- Calithera Biosciences, Inc. (NASDAQ: CALA): a clinical-stage pharmaceutical company focused on discovering and developing novel small molecule drugs directed against tumor metabolism and tumor immunology targets for the treatment of cancer.
- Flex Pharma (NASDAQ: FLKS): a biotechnology company developing innovative and proprietary treatments for nocturnal leg cramps and spasms associated with severe neuromuscular conditions.
- Colorescience; a skincare company that develops and markets scientifically based, proprietary products that treat sun damaged skin, as well as protecting the skin from the damaging effects of the sun, the environment and aging.
- KalVista: an ophthalmology company with a primary focus on Diabetic Macular Edema (DME) and deep expertise in the discovery and development of serine protease inhibitors.
- Channel Medsystems: a women’s healthcare company currently using technology focused on global endometrial ablation for women with heavy menstrual bleeding.
Members of the Longwood team have also founded and built several successful healthcare companies including Momenta Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ: MNTA), Alnylam Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ: ALNY), and Sirtris Pharmaceuticals, Inc.